Friday, March 25, 2016

Bow Tie Guy of the Day: René Magritte


René Magritte:

Rene Magritte (1898-1967) was a Surreal painter from Belgium. He created eight methods of bringing about the crisis of the object. He based all of his work on these principles. The are isolation, modification, hybridization, scale change, accidental encounters, double image puns, paradox, double viewpoints. 

It is these methods that I find so fascinating and why I enjoy Magritte's work so much. This work is based on one of my favorite paintings of his “Ceci n'est pas use pipe.” (This is not a pipe.) But instead of the pipe it is not a bow tie.

I also tried my hand at water color paining for this one. It has been a while. For the next few weeks you can see the original in the Blank Space exhibit at the Quimby Gallery.

No comments: