Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Bow Tie Guy of the Day: Musk Ox


Musk Ox (ˈməskˌäks)

I have to admit a level of ignorance here. While drawing at the Fairbanks Museum this last summer I was frustrated with my attempts to draw a yak. Upon researching it more I discovered that I was not drawing a yak. I was drawing a musk ox. I wonder if that had anything to do with my inability to draw the yak. I may draw a yak eventually. In the end I think I had difficult drawing the animal because I did not fully understand the structure beneath the hair. Since then, the bovine beast has fascinated me with all it's hair. I finally drew one that I was happy with. It naturally looks like it is wearing a coat hence the lack of the sweater vest.

The musk ox or muskox is native to the tundra of North America and Greenland. 

No comments: