Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Bow Tie Guy of the Day: De Stijl

De Stijl (də ˈstīl)

For each of my syllabi I have a different Bow Tie Guy that in most cases has something to do with the course. This one is found on my Survey of Western Art II course. I love Mondrian's work for it's simplicity and beauty. Although this is not a complete abstraction of form it is strongly influenced by Se Stijl. This is the beginning of my The Fine Art of Bow Ties series.

Founded in 1917, the De Stijl advocated pure abstraction through a reduction of form (vertical and horizontal lines and rectangles) and color (red, yellow and blue) to the essentials or most basic. They wanted to elevated the everyday object to the level of art. Mondrian, one of the founders taught at the Bahaus School and helped apply these thoughts to graphic and industrial design. 


No comments: