Friday, June 21, 2019

Busy Week! Newsies Illustration


It's been a busy week. This is the second of two illustrations finished for The Vermont Children's Theater. For Newsies, I struggled with how to present the show in a different way. Most of the posters either had characters dancing, holding a newspaper and yelling or fists in the air with newspapers. I took a more subtle approach by demonstrating the aspect of a strike with the newsboy hat off and a stack of papers left alone. The energy of the musical comes in with the frenetic line work and the prominent “STRIKE!” on the front of the paper. I kept with a warm pallet to also denote the energy.

This was a huge win for me. I struggle with doing illustrations that do not play to my strengths. I took the challenge and found away to make it work.

No comments: