Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Sketching Class (This is Not a Yak)


Yesterday, I started teaching my week long intensive sketching class. This summer we are focusing on animal studies. For the afternoon, I took the class to the Fairbanks Museum. This is a great place to start as it is a natural history museum with a large collection of taxidermy animals. Although, I was impressed with the classes work and had a wonderful time helping them I struggled with doing anything that I felt was good.

This is not a yak. I started the day really wanting to tackle the Yak, but every attempt left me frustrated. I never realized drawing a yak could be so difficult. By the end of the day I managed to have a few sketches of other animals I was pleased with. This bee-eater is one of them.

Even when you are not feeling good about drawing and struggling with it you need to push through until it works. Now I have the challenge of figuring out how to draw a yak.

No comments: