Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Fiddler on the Roof poster for The Vermont Children's Theater


I just finished the illustration for the Vermont Children's Theater production of Fiddler on the Roof. Creating it was a wonderful honor as this musical is on my top five musical list. I watched the movie again recently and was reminded how brilliant the show is. I love the  message of love, of approaching trials to long held traditions, of perseverance, and how traditions and faith are not necessarily the same. The show gives me hope.

My challenge initially was to try to come up with something different. Every poster has a fiddler on the roof. As I worked and consulted with the director, I realized the traditional approach was the best way to do it. I believe I put the fiddler more precariously positioned on the top of the roof than any other poster I I have seen though. It also captures the joy of life amidst the trials we go through.

The best part was while working on the illustration, I found myself humming the tunes to the songs.

No comments: